At Fossil Free Indexes LLC (FFI), we value your privacy.
FFI collects your personal data during interaction with the Services. The following sections outline your information collection, usage, control and disposal when you access and use FFI’s Services or when you otherwise interact with us.
How and Why Does FFI Collect Your Data During Interaction with FFI Services?
When you utilize FFI Services or when you otherwise interact with FFI, information that you directly provide to us is collected. This includes:
- Information Regarding Your Use of the Services
- When you use our Services, the data we collect generally includes personal identification information used to create your account (e.g., email address, username, password), information collected to access FFI publications and other information, account preferences, and the content of messages between you and FFI.
- Users may, however, visit our Services anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us such as through an email.
- Users can always refuse to supply personal identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Services related activities, such as downloading FFI publications.
- Much of the data collected is to ensure that you are a human and not a robot which may cause disruption to certain Services.
- General information is also collected in order to run analytics regarding Services usage so that FFI may provide revisions and enhancements based on the results that may serve to enhance User experience. This is considered non-personal information and may include the following among other non-personal information.
- We may log information when you access and use the Services. This may include your IP address, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information (e.g., device IDs), pages visited, links clicked, user interactions (e.g., voting data), the requested URL, hardware settings, and search terms.
- Requested Information
- Data is collected to ensure that you are human and not an automated bot which may cause disruption to the Services. In addition, data is collected to have a record of any request, should any issue arise.
- Data is also collected on a general basis to understand which services, products, features, etc. are most in demand. This is necessary in order for FFI to make revisions, introduce new features and services, etc. that may correlate more effectively with public preferences.
- Other Information
- You may choose to provide other information directly to us. For example, we may collect information when you fill out a form, participate in contests, sweepstakes or promotions, apply for a job, communicate with us via third-party sites and services, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us.
- This data is collected so that FFI may communicate effectively with you. For example, information you provide helps us respond to your customer service requests and support needs more efficiently.
- This data is also collected to ensure that you are human and not an automated bot which may cause disruption to the Services and purchase. In addition, the data is collected to have a record of the communications should any issue arise.
For What Other Purposes Does FFI Use Your Data?
FFI may collect and use Users personal information for the following purposes:
- To run and operate our Site
- We may need your information to display content on the Site correctly.
- To personalize user experience
- We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our Users as a group use the services and resources provided on our Site.
- To receive electronic communications
- If a User decides to opt-in to receiving electronic communications from us, they may receive communications that may include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc.
- We may also use the email address to respond to User inquiries, questions, and/or other requests.
- To improve our Site
- We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To help protect the safety of FFI and our users, which includes blocking suspected spammers, addressing abuse, and enforcing our Terms and Conditions;
- To send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, invoices and other support and administrative messages;
- To communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, and events, and provide other news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to opt out of these communications, see “How Can You Control Your Data” below);
- To monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services (for information about how to manage your preferences, see “How Can You Control Your Data” below).
How FFI Strives to Keep Your Information Secure
FFI uses best practices when it comes to storing and protecting your data. In compliance with GDPR, all encryption and decryption keys related to your data are maintained by FFI and not outsourced to a third party. All appropriate security measures have been established to ensure that data collection, storage and processing practices are protected against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information, and/or any other data stored with our Services.
How FFI Shares Data
FFI does not sell, trade, or rent Users personal identification information to others. FFI may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
We will not share, sell, or give away any of our Users’ personal information to third parties, unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- We may share information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work for us;
- If you participate in promotions, special offers, or other events or activities in connection with our Services, we may share information with entities that partner with us to provide these offerings;
- We may share information (and will attempt to provide you with prior notice, to the extent legally permissible) in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including, but not limited to, meeting national security or law enforcement requirements;
- We may share information in response to an emergency if we believe it’s necessary to prevent imminent and serious bodily harm to a person;
- We may share information if we believe your actions are potentially unlawful, and/or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others;
- We may share information as needed between and among FFI, and its current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership; and
- We may share information with your consent or at your direction.
FFI’s Policy Regarding Data Sharing with Third Party Websites and Partners
Users may find content on our Services that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Services. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Services, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
We may partner with third-party partners, suppliers, and analytics providers to deliver content targeted to your interests and to better understand your use of the Services. These third parties may collect information sent by your computer, browser, or mobile device in response to a request for content such as unique identifiers, your IP address, or other information about your computer or device. For example:
- Partner Networks
- Analytics Partners
- We use analytics partners to help analyze usage and traffic for our Services. As an example, we may use analytics partners to analyze and measure, in the aggregate, the number of unique visitors to our Services.
For more information about how you may control the collection and/or use of information for advertising and analytics purposes, please see “How Can You Control Your Data.”
Children Under 18
Our Services are intended for general audiences and are not directed to children under 18. Therefore, individuals under the age of 18 may not create an account or otherwise access or use the Services. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from a child under the relevant age without parental consent, we will take steps to delete that information.
How Can You Control Your Data?
As a FFI user, you have choices about how to protect and limit the collection, use, and disclosure of information about you. This includes:
- Account Settings
- We may provide you with tools and preference settings that allow you to access, correct, delete, and modify information associated with your account. These can be found under “Settings”.
- Account Information
- You may delete your account information at any time by logging into your account and following the steps under “Settings”.
- Please note that we may also retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes after you delete your account.
- In the Settings section, you can opt-out of allowing FFI to collect anonymized User data to improve the Services.
- Some analytics providers we may partner with may provide specific opt-out mechanisms and we may provide, as needed and as available, additional tools and third-party services that allow you to better understand cookies and how you can opt-out.
- Promotional Communications
- You may opt-in/opt-out of receiving electronic communications from us, such as the FFI newsletter, by following the instructions under “Settings”. If you opt-out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as information about your account or your use of our Services.
When Does FFI Remove Your Data?
When you are no longer affiliated with FFI and/or any of our Services, we will ensure that your information is deleted from our systems to the extent possible, unless you direct otherwise.
For any governmental, regulatory and/or legal compliance obligation, the regulatory requirements pertaining to those obligations will be enforced by FFI which may result in your data being retained by FFI for a required timeframe.
International Data Transfers
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Information (European Economic Area)
If you wish to learn more about specific legal grounds we rely on to process your information for any particular purpose (including any legitimate interests we have to process this information), please contact us as provided under the Contact Us section. For example, we rely on our legitimate interests to process information for direct marketing purposes and for fraud prevention and detection, provided these interests are not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
Your Data Protection Rights (European Economic Area)
In some regions, such as the EEA, you may have certain rights in relation to your personal information, including the right to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information. FFI takes reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and up to date. You also can manage your profile and settings within our Platform. However, if you are not a user of our Services and you want to contact us directly about accessing, correcting, updating, or deleting your personal information, or altering your data or marketing preferences, you can do so at any time by contacting as provided in the “Contact Us” section. We will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws.
You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us as provided in the “Contact Us” section. You also can deactivate your profile and obtain a copy of your information through your settings.
You can complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We may ask you to verify your identity in order to help us respond efficiently to your request.
If you wish to make a request based on the above, please inform us by contacting us as provided in the “Contact Us” section below. We may request evidence of your identity for verification purposes. We will respond to your request within the applicable statutory term.
Effective November 19, 2019.